Friday 11 September 2015

Zom-B Fugitive, Darren Shan

Pages: 240
Publisher: S&S
Release Date: 10th September 2015
Edition: UK hardback, review copy


Exhausted and jubilant, B Smith has finally located the virus that could save mankind. Can she transport the precious test to safety with Mr Dowling’s mutants hot on her heels?

I stick the tube inside my hollowed-out stomach and root around until I find some pliant flesh to wedge it into. I grit my teeth as I work the tube firmly into place, taking no chances, not worrying about the discomfort. When I'm satisfied, I shake myself roughly and jump up and down. The tube doesn’t budge.

I feel like an expectant mother, only instead of carrying a baby, I’m carrying hope for the entire world. If I can get this to Dr Oystein, the stalemate will be broken and he can uncork a tube of Clements-13, bringing the curtains down on every zombie and mutant on the face of the planet.

‘So, no pressure,’ I giggle.

I turn my back on the safe, limp into the corridor and make my slow, sluggish, excruciating break for freedom.

It has become almost impossible to review these books without mentioning spoilers from earlier in the series so consider yourselves warned!

The eleventh instalment in the Zom-B series is possibly the most mind-blowing yet. I felt like my brain had melted by the time I had finished Zom-B Fugitive.

When we left B at the end of Zom-B Bride, she had been tortured, rescued, made a deal with Mr Dowling, got married, become the mother to a hoarde of zombie babies and escaped once again, with some incredibly valuable information. I was on the edge of my seat from the get go. B has the opportunity to save the world and she's really not about to waste it! It’s amazing how far B has come from the beginning of the series and I couldn’t help but be really proud of her! She's become a good person and I've come to respect her and the choices she makes, and that’s not something I expected when I first started this series!

I’m not going to spoil anything about Zom-B Fugitive, but I will say that it has what is hands down the biggest plot twist in the entire series, and that’s really saying something. Darren Shan pulled out the big guns with this one and I genuinely found myself putting the book down and muttering to myself in shock. I gobbled in down in one sitting.

The Zom-B series has got better and better as it’s gone on and I can't wait for the final instalment, Zom-B Goddess, though I’ll be very, very sad to see it over.

Thanks to S&S for the review copy.

Sophie 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!